What’s the best way to get a job in the UK?

Monday, December 15th, 2008 - Immigration, Job Application

Matt asks: What’s the best way to get a job in the UK?

In answer:

The economic situation has hit the UK hard, and as we are (as normal) about nine months plus behind North America, the worst is yet to come.

If you are a non-EU passport holder or resident, and not married to one, for any job in the UK you now need to gain enough points on the UK Borders Agency skilled workers scheme to be able to work. This normally means sponsorship (ie – offer of employment), through a pre-registered UKBA employer. There is a list of grades of sponsorship on the UKBA website.

However, although you may get sponsorship, and even though you may be in a core needs trade, you may still not be given a work visa. The reason for this is that UKBA are being very slow, one could almost say reluctant to issue work permit visa’s at present. The conclusion is that they have been given a “brief” by the UK Government to allow full opportunity to those that are already here.

Personally if it was me, I would forget about moving to the EU at present unless you already have the required paperwork and clearances. It could just prove one long and frustrating exercise. Until the economy turns upwards, although the path may seem clear the logistics and tactics will remain extended at best.

Good Luck!

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments are closed.

Recent Posts



Review cv4.biz on alexa.com